[mythtv-users] Myth won't play DVDs, video is shaky

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Dec 11 22:51:31 UTC 2008

I just changed the playback profile to Normal and the shakiness problem
seems to be totally gone. Woot J Thanks Steve!

I'm new to MythTV, so I have not familiarized myself with all of the
settings yet. I'm not sure why it defaulted to CPU+. My system can handle
Normal without a problem.

I've still got a small black bar at the bottom of the screen (neglected to
mention that in my first email). I'm hoping to get rid of it. It shows up at
the bottom, not on any other side of the screen.

I'd prefer to try to get the internal mythtv player to work before I try to
use an external one like mplayer per your suggestion.

Andrew

Andrew,

Glad the tv setting worked for you.  : )

I recommend you try the mplayer setting. If that works, you know it's the
myth internal player and not a codec issue. You can always change it back to
say Internal and continue to troubleshoot the myth dvd player.

To get rid of the black bars, Go to the settings area again and tv settings
and go to playback. Screen 2 of 9 has some settings called vertical scaling,
horizontal scaling and then scan displacement (x and y)....play around with
these settings, as that will change the video playback location. This is
what i use on my tv to get rid of the black bars.

-Steve