[mythtv-users] VDPAU deinterlacers in trunk

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 21:39:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:37 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 2:48 AM, David Knight <dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>> Just wanted to check if anyone else is seeing the following issues. I'm
>> running trunk version 19298 with VDPAU, libfaad and opengl vsync enabled.
>> NVIDIA drivers 180.11 on a NVIDIA 8300 chipset.
>> If I select any of the two "Advanced" deinterlacers for playback of 1080i
>> h264 (BBC HD) then it stutters badly (audio and video), this is on a AMD
>> 5200 X2, 1.5Gb System RAM and 512Mb GPU RAM.
>> I think the following entries in the backend log are associated with this:
>> 2008-12-09 22:02:06.782 [h264 @ 0x5940860]B picture before any references,
>> skipping
>> 2008-12-09 22:02:06.790 [h264 @ 0x5940860]decode_slice_header error
>> 2008-12-09 22:02:06.799 [h264 @ 0x5940860]no frame!
>> Playing with the "Basic 2x" deinterlacer sometimes displays vertical
>> "tearing" lines on moving parts of the image. I enabled opengl vsync
>> yesterday evening and it improved playback, I also noticed the vertical
>> "tearing" issue wasn't present when viewing recordings and even live tv !
>> Yet this morning its back ?!?
>> Very impressed with the work so far on VDPAU, was getting around 100-180%
>> cpu usage across both cores before now between 10-20% !
> I don't have a fix for you, but thought I would let you know that you
> are not alone.  I see the exact same thing.  I don't believe the part
> of the log you listed is relevant, though.
> For me, the symptoms are not consistent.  After a fresh reboot,
> Advanced 2x will often work fine.  Once it starts to stutter, though,
> it will continue to stutter until another reboot.  The lines you list
> above are displayed even when it works, so I think the pertinent
> information is elsewhere.
> If you do:
> and then run mythfrontend with "-v playback", some useful information
> my be produced in the log.
> My machine is powerful enough to display HD-PVR sourced H.264 without
> VDPAU, but not at the highest bit rates.  I am looking forward to the
> ability to max the bit rate out :-)
> John

I want to confirm that i am seeing similar results with the Advanced
VDPAU deinterlacing.  Advanced x2 or x1 causing the playback to chop.
Basic x2 and x1 works fine.  I have no looked into it at all.  I
assume this is part of the "work in progress" still happening with
VDPAU.  I'm not sure if this is a MythTV thing or a Nvidia drivers
thing.  We are all running beta drivers and SVN mythtv.  So be careful
before we tell myth developers that their code is broken.
Ryan Patterson