[mythtv-users] [OT] Switching to ratpoison on MythBuntu

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Wed Dec 10 13:32:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 16:05 +0000, Ben Lancaster wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> So, I'm migrating from MythDora 5 to MythBuntu 8.10, and I'm
> struggling to figure out how I switch my desktop environment to
> ratpoison; any pointers? I tried changing ~/.dmrc from:
>
> [Desktop]
> Session=mythbuntu
>
> to:
>
> [Desktop]
> Session=ratpoison
>
> But that gave me an error about there being no session "ratpoison" and
> reverted back to the default? The package is installed (according to
> apt-get).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ben

Ben,

  The ~/.dmrc file just tells Ubuntu which session script to run.
Apparently the ratpoison deb does not install one. You may be better off
simply creating your own ~/.xinitrc. The script that starts X should
pick it up and ignore the systemwide default.

  Alternately you could create a session startup script for ratpoison.
The first location checked is /usr/share/xsessions/. Mythbuntu only
installs xfce by default. On my Ubuntu desktop I have both Gnome and KDE
installed and their startup scripts. You could use one of them as a
template to make your own.

Cheers,
James