[mythtv-users] OT: audio solution for bathroom to play collection from desktop (FE)

Ken Scales kscales at xplornet.com
Wed Dec 10 03:38:33 UTC 2008

Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, Bobby Gill wrote:
>

>> the fam are buggin' the hell outta me to get an audio solution that plays
>> from my desktop (I use MPD) to the bathroom. For example one bathroom opens
>> into the bedroom with the box, distance is maybe ~15 feet straight.
>>

> Not quite what you are asking about, but as an old-fashioned person myself I
> use a FM transmitter to broadcast the signal from my main stereo throughout
> the house. I have the first generation of this from Ramsey kits:
> http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM25B
>
> Obviously with this, you don't get to choose what to play at each location.
> What I like is being able to go from room to room and hear the same thing.
> In my case it also lets someone leave the room durring a familyh movie and
> still keep up with the dialog at least.

I agree with Chris that an FM transmitter (a good one that has
sufficient range) can be a really good solution for sending music/audio
throughout the home.  Here's the one I'm using, and I've been very
pleased with it:
   http://www.wholehousefmtransmitter.com/

I have a switch box connected to it, and can select between my satellite
radio, MythTV (which has a second audio card so I can play music
independent from video), and the main household desktop. FM
radios/tuners are quite prolific!  And inexpensive to set up in several
rooms. My alarm radio wakes me to my favourite satellite radio station...