[mythtv-users] Will nvidia 7600GS reduce CPU load over 6200 (both AGP) in an older, underpowered machine?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Dec 9 15:21:48 UTC 2008

On Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 10:02:18AM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> Would a 7600GS AGP card enable further offloading of CPU usage or will
> it have limited to no effect in mythtv?
> (note I have no interest in 3D gaming)
>
> Would any other (< $100) card be likely to help me extend the life of
> this older machine?

I doubt it'll help, no.  Anything that can be is offloaded to XvMC, the
rest has to be done by the CPU.  Updating the graphics card won't affect
what can be offloaded.  The VDPAU work currently in SVN will certainly
help though - this will offload more of the processing and should reduce
the CPU load right down.  This is highly unlikely to be backported
though so you'll have to either switch to SVN or wait for the 0.22
release.

As for other cards - Nvidia are currently the only (non built-in) cards
with any offloading at all, so anything else will use more CPU, not
less.

Cheers,
    Robin
--