[mythtv-users] Will nvidia 7600GS reduce CPU load over 6200 (both AGP) in an older, underpowered machine?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Dec 9 15:20:37 UTC 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 7:02 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> Now that I finally have 1080i playing mostly without audio buffer
> underruns and prebuffering pauses with my 6200 AGP card, I am
> wondering whether upgrading to a 7600 AGP card will reduce
> mythfrontend CPU load further?
>
> With extra audio buffering added, the playback on 6200 is now
> passable provided I turn on XvMC and make sure that nothing else is
> using
> the CPU. It truly appears to be CPU limited (I have a P4 2.8GHz) as
> follows:
> 		Mythfrontend: 60-65%
> 		Mythbackend: 8-10%
> 		Pluseaudio: 8-10%
> 		X: 4-6%
>
> I would really like to get some extra CPU margin.
>
> Would a 7600GS AGP card enable further offloading of CPU usage or will
> it have limited to no effect in mythtv?
> (note I have no interest in 3D gaming)
>
> Would any other (< $100) card be likely to help me extend the life of
> this older machine?

A 7600 would give no benefit over a 6200 in MythTV. If you want to
upgrade get a card with a GPU that supports VDPAU. Even though you
will have to wait until the next version of MythTV to use it, it will
be there and ready for you when it happens.

A list of supported cards are here
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Vdpau#Supported_Cards

-Brad