[mythtv-users] SOLVED: Re: Exasperated: DD/DTS SPDIF works with everything *except* MythTV

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Tue Dec 9 13:40:03 UTC 2008

Kingsley Turner wrote:

>>> This is basically what I have already, except using ALSA:default instead
>>> of ALSA:spdif.
>>> I tried "ALSA:spdif", and got the same result.
>>>
>>> However I did notice that the digital sound (DD5.1 / playing DVD) seemed
>>> to be dropping in and out (according to the LED on the amp. anyway) and
>>> occasionally we'd get a split-second of sound before it dropped back to
>>> silence.  After changing back to ALSA:default I notice this is happening
>>> here also.  I'd guess it's not keeping up with the sound output or
>>> something, maybe some kind of buffering thing ??!  ("Agressive Sound
>>> card buffering" is turned OFF).
>>>
>> Sorry, my reply was not complete:
>> Output ALSA:spdif
>> Passthrough device  ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 }
>> max Audio: Stereo (other setting is broken)
>> Upmix: Passive
>> Aggressive: unchecked
>> Internal Volume: I have it unchecked but I think it may work checked as well
>> Enable AC3 and DTS both checked.
>>
>> Hopefully you didn't have max audio set to stereo and this will fix
>> your problem
> I already had this set to stereo, but I read somewhere else it doesn't
> effect digital out?
>
> Anyway, I just solved it this second:
>
> A quick little sentence in the MythTV wiki nailed it:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF
> -
>
> <quote>
> If "Use video as timebase" is checked, you will get stuttering audio
> output or not audio at all. "Use video as timebase" *must* be
> unchecked if you want AC3 audio to work.
> </quote>
>
> Just an offhand sentence, but *so* important!
>
> I don't know how I missed it, maybe because there's so many documents
> on this, after you read a few of them you start to gloss-over them,
> not reading properly.  Guess I was punished for my own lack of
> thoroughness.
>
> Although, I wish the UI would give you a warning about this or
> something.... ;)
>
> thanks to everyone for their help!

Interestingly I rebooted the box this morning after playing around with
the lirc/imon stuff

I found that all audio in Myth stopped working (except playback of
video, which is mplayer).  I changed the audio output device from
ALSA:default to ALSA:spdif .   I don't know why it would suddenly become
not working again, but the change fixed it.

cheers,
-kt