[mythtv-users] How to set up remote access to mythweb?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:40:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> Has anyone put together any docs for getting streaming working with
> https?  The docs I've seen just say 'also install it with http - which
> kind of defeats the purpose.
>
> Is there some sort of minimal apache/mythweb config I can use with http
> to enable streaming when I put mythweb on https?
>
> --Yan

I know this isn't what you're asking, but it's a totally different
alternative that's secure and would probably (though I haven't tried)
work with streaming as well...and that's to connect remotely to
mythweb using an ssh tunnel.  The downside is that it requires that
the remote machine you're on have some way to create the ssh
tunnel...though I've done it with the linux command line ssh, Putty on
windows, as well as the cygwin version of ssh under Windows.  On
windows putty would be the easiest to get going.

Since the tunnel you're running through is via ssh, you can browse via
plain http and it's still secure.  Here's an example...

Say you're backend is on 192.168.1.101 on your lan and you've opened
up a machine on you're lan (could be the backend or any that has sshd
running) to external ssh (by properly port forwarding your router) and
are hitting it via my_network.dynalias.com.  On a remote machine you
could create an ssh tunnel to the backend...for example:

ssh -L localhost:8888:192.168.1.101:80 my_network.dynalias.com

Note that the 8888 could be whatever local port you want.  Once you've
done that you've created a tunnel on localhost port 8888 to port 80 on
the backend, and you can browse to http://localhost:8888/mythweb
securely (even though you're using clear http).

Tom