[mythtv-users] Problems with External USB Drives

Jonno jonnojohnson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 22:22:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Doug Young <goofdad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Aaron Klein <klein.aaron at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:17 AM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:
>>> I have my 500GB drive set to 1G and saw the frag level drop from high
>>> 80% range down under 30%. I only use this drive for recordings so 1G
>>> seemed appropriate.
>>
>> For the help of others including myself could you quickly outline how
>> one would adjust the allocation size to something other than the
>> default.  I can see how a large file size would be of benifit for
>> disks that only stored recordings.  This is my exact case.  I have two
>> myth boxes both with 500G drives dedicated exclusivly for recordings.
>> For me a 30 min recording is about 1gig in size
>
> Typing "xfs alloc size" into google and hitting "I'm feeling lucky" resulted in:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Optimizing_Performance
>
> Sure enough, it describes how to change the alloc size in the XFS section.

Well I finally had chance to get it defrag'd and changed the
allocation size to 512m. I had to change my /etc/fstab entry to mount
via the UUID rather than the /dev/sdb1 notation that I had been using
since it was now showing up as sdd1 (not sure why that changed).
Before I did all this I took the drive out and attached it directly to
the motherboard of my desktop system and ran Spinrite at level 2. It
found no problems other than seek errors.