[mythtv-users] Crippling load spike on FE/BE - cause unknown?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Dec 8 18:22:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 11:21 -0600, Anthony Messina wrote:
> I've been having difficulty with my freshly build F10 x86_64 (using a previous
> mythconverg db that I was using in F9, F8, F7 ...) MythTV FE/BE box and CPU
> load issues for a few months.  I've so far, been unsuccessful at getting the
> cause nailed down on my own. The issue was happening with F9 as well as F10.
>         Driver      "nvidia"
>         VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
>         BoardName   "GeForce 7300 LE"

There is sometimes a bad interaction with the Composite extension and
nvidia drivers for the 6xxx, 7xxx & 8xxx cards which results in the
Xorg CPU usage going to 100% while video is playing. If your Xorg
CPU usage jumps to 100% when this occurs, try disabling the composite
extension, or switching to legacy nvidia drivers which don't exhibit
this behaviour.

-- Daniel