[mythtv-users] Good TV-Out card for HD

Lee Koloszyc teething12 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:57:05 UTC 2008

Paulin wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Mitch Gore  > wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Nick Rout      > wrote:
>
>         On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Paulin          > wrote:
>        > I purchased this card from newegg yestereday for 59.99.
>        > PNY VCG84512SPEB GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI
>         Video Card
>        > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245
>        > Thanks,
>        > steve
>

>     How loud is it?

It isn't that loud at all. I can't hear it over my stock CPU or my case
fans. The good thing is with mythtv trunk and VDPAU my CPU no longer
gets hot enough to up the fan speed. It runs at a max 10% CPU  (Athlon
64 3200+) playing back 1080i,720p and even at 1.2 timestretch with 5.1
sound it only gets to 32%.
 My wife actually commented she couldn't hear the myth box anymore while
something is playing:)

Anyways a few things from my experience. The PCI card can not playback
HD content through mythtv without VDPAU, as someone mentioned previously
it will saturate the PCI bus.  Mplayer sans VDPAU did seem to be able to
play 720p video, but choked on 1080i.   I was also having problems even
with SD video, but not sure why.

Also microcenter.com has the same card for 39.99 - 10.00 rebate, with
the only difference being the newegg one comes with the component
breakout cable.

Lee