[mythtv-users] How to set up remote access to mythweb?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat Dec 6 22:16:53 UTC 2008

Craig Huff wrote:
> Okay, I have read several wiki entries on the mythweb site, but I
> haven't been able to wrap my head around how to accomplish this.  I
> have an internet connection with a major ISP which includes a DHCP
> connection, so no static IP address on the net.  My Myth system is
> behind a firewall/router.  The good news is the firewall/router has
> two capabilities I think will be useful in accomplishing this, but I'm
> not sure how to connect all the dots.  It can support a DynDNS setup
> and it can do what I think is called port-forwarding -- allowing
> incoming traffic on a particular port go to a particular system behind
> the firewall.
>
> So, what are the steps required to be able to browse my mythweb page
> from a system outside my LAN, such as when I'm visiting my parents,
> etc.?

You are correct that those are exactly the two features you need. Set
up port forwarding as others have described, plus go to www.dyndns.com
to get a free dynamic dns account, and set up your router to keep it
updated with your changing IP. You'll then have a domain of the form
somethingorother.gotdns.org that you can use to access your myth box.

Cheers,
	Paul.