[mythtv-users] How to set up remote access to mythweb?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 6 21:50:33 UTC 2008

On Saturday 06 December 2008 21:26:02 Craig Huff wrote:

You just need to port forward port 80 to the IP address of your myth box.
If your computers use DHCP to get IP addresses (probably using your firewall/router as a DHCP server?) then it's a good idea to set up the DHCP server so that it always gives your myth box the same IP address. Saves confusion later. :)

All you then need to know is the IP address your ISP has given to your router. Your router ought to be able to tell you this if it has some kind of web-page configuration doodah. You can then access mythweb from anywhere by using http://<router's external IP address>/mythweb.

Definitely at least set a password on mythweb, and if you understand any of apache's other security options use them also. And tell me what you did because I get the urge to kill every time I try to understand it :)

So long as your router is on all the time, its IP address probably won't change, but this will depend on your ISP and the way they configure their DHCP. I've known some ISPs that routinely force changes in IP address, specifically to prevent people running servers without paying extra for fixed addresses. But you learn to live with it... took me 5 minutes to knock up a script to email me whenever my external IP address changes... :)

Mark