[mythtv-users] Nvidia 8400GS PCI, High Xorg CPU, Tearing

Matt Hakim thepigs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 09:09:43 UTC 2008

> During the instance the CPU would be around 75-80% with 60-65% coming
> from mythfrontend, the rest coming from X or other process.
> After replacing it with the 8400GS, I get loads of tearing and just a
> horrible looking picture, even with SD (though SD is watchable sort
> of). The problem seems to be with X windows taking more CPU time then
> mythfrontend, playing 1080i about 55% is going to X and 40% or so to
> mythfrontend.

Are you running your refresh rate at 50Hz? Try 60Hz for a quick fix.
For me, to fix at 50Hz I had to do this: Turn all vsync/opengl vsync
turned off in nvidia-settings. Run nvidia-settings -l in your
.xinitrc. Then start mythfrontend with 'opengl vsync' setting enabled.

Also, by 'horrible looking picture' you just mean 'tearing', right??