[mythtv-users] Myth approach to including libraries

Dave Badia dbadia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 23:31:25 UTC 2008

Have a basic question about the code structure of myth.  I've noticed that
the source for libraries it uses (ffmpeg for example) are included in the
myth source itself.  Why is the code lumped into myth source?  I'm simply
curious.  Being a professional developer (java mostly), this was a surprise
to me, as I thought it would be advantageous to invoke the library as the
externally complied object.
Are there modifications made to the source of the library?  Perhaps a
non-public API needs to be accessed?  Is this common practice among open
source/linux/C++ projects?
I see the periodic announcements of merging the the latest ffmpeg code,
which made me wonder.  I figured this was a basic enough question to post to
the users list instead of dev.

Thanks for the insight
Dave