[mythtv-users] HELP: What is meaning of "NVP: Video is 16.2157 frames ahead of audio, doubling video frame interval to slow down."

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky mythtv-users at kosowsky.org
Fri Dec 5 20:17:09 UTC 2008

I believe this is the cause of the problems I am experiencing with
slow video, and halting sound.

Specifically:
- HD video is good quality & smooth but slow.
- Sound is normal quality and speed/frequency, but stops every few
  seconds (though no sound is missing).
It seems like sound is stopping every couple of seconds to wait for
the slow video to catch up.

This would be consistent with the error message that I get with each
audio pause:
	  WriteAudio: buffer underrun

However, this symptom seems like the OPPOSITE of the message that I
get when I turn on "-v playback":
	Video is N.nnnn frames ahead of audio, doubling video frame
	interval to slow down.

where N ranges from about 8 to 16 frames -- which would be consistent
with approximately the length of the audio pauses.

So my questions are:
- Is this a video problem or an audio problem?
- Is this a cpu or graphics card speed problem?
- What do I need to do to troubleshoot & fix?

Note: I have a 2.8GHz P4 (old) with a new GeForce 6200 card.
Mythfrontend uses about 40-45% of CPU.
X uses about 4-6% (using XvMC)
Mythbackend uses about 15%
Pulseaudio uses about 8%.