[mythtv-users] Noobish network cable connection question, basement > upstairs

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Fri Dec 5 18:22:50 UTC 2008

> How much faster do you find it? I used to get about 7M/sec or so on
> 100Mbit, and on gig I get about 10-12 at the most. I don't think I've
> got anything badly wrong. Maybe I was just expecting a bigger speed
> boost with gig.

When I am copying to my 00 server over gig, I max out at about 60M/sec... I
know the server (disks) can go faster than that, so when I get a chance over
the holidays, I am going to run a couple more cat5 cables to the basement,
and bond them on my desktop down to the switch for a 2G connection -
obviously need to do the same to the server as well, but that shouldn't be
too much of an issue.

Graham