[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 03:14:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Heath Roberts <htroberts at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have just spent some time trying to find some reference to any code
>> requirement for TV antennas.  I can't find any and would appreciate a
>> reference.
>
> I don't think there's a code requirement to have a TV antenna ( :-) ), but
> if you do have an antenna, and you're in a jurisdiction covered by NEC, then
> "[810.15 Grounding.] Masts and metal structures supporting antennas shall be
> grounded in accordance with 810.21". I'm quoting from the 2008 edition,
> which I believe has been fairly commonly adopted in the U.S. now, but it's
> not a new requirement.
> You'll want to read all of Article
> 810: http://nfpaweb3.gvpi.net/rrserver/browser?title=/NFPASTD/7008
>
> --
> Heath Roberts
> htroberts at gmail.com

Thanks for the reference, which I read.

And the way I read it is that the ground wire shall run in a straight
line to the building ground point.  In other works, run a wire to the
ground rod, the same ground rod the entry box is grounded to.  I see
nothing about having to run another ground or having to run to the
closest ground point if there is a main ground point.

So, back to the original point, run a ground wire from the antenna to
the ground reference point and you won't get hum and you won't violate
the building code.

Allen