[mythtv-users] Noobish network cable connection question, basement > upstairs

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Dec 5 03:10:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> and maybe some couplers then you can run two lines on one cat5 cable.
> I use at my place and it works great.

This only works up to 100Mbit. Once you go gigabit, you need all 8 wires in
the cat5 for signaling. However, for internet, unless you have a really
great ISP, you will never get close to 100Mbit so have at it.

Now if you need faster speeds for the Mythbox, then you might need to
reconsider. Personally, I'd put the router downstairs. Even when I've wanted
to reboot mine, I've been able to do it via the web interface.