[mythtv-users] Noobish network cable connection question, basement > upstairs

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Dec 5 01:12:26 UTC 2008

Bobby Gill wrote:
> Right now I have mythbox (basement) > router (basement) > cable modem
> (basement) > ethernet cable going from basement to upstairs >desktop
> (upstairs).
>
> How can I have it so the router stays upstairs (if need be I'll grab
> something else)? I was thinking of a 3-way RJ45 splitter or something
> but they're a bugger to find here and I'm not so sure they're the best
> solution. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

A splitter won't do it.  You *might* get away with putting a hub at each
end, and using the same cable for both the router->modem and
router->desktop networks.  In theory this should work, since they're on
different subnets; however, the router may freak out if it sees that
both of its ports are connected to the same network segment, so no
guarantees.  This also undermines any firewalling features of your
router.  I don't recommend this.

I would suggest running a second ethernet cable as the best solution.
You may also want to see if your router can be reset through its web
interface; many can and that may save you the trip downstairs.