[mythtv-users] What is a "dual core processor"?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 17:44:00 UTC 2008

2008/12/4 Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>>
>> Matt Emmott wrote:
>> > Wow, now I have no idea. How can I tell what my CPU is without taking my
>> > box apart? I suppose I can look up my invoices from Newegg...
>>
>> Assuming you run Linux:
>>
>> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>>

>> On Windoze you can run some non-m$ utilityto determine whatever type of
>> CPU is present.
>
> As I said above (although I paraphrased), my cpuinfo gives me Intel(R)
> Pentium(R) D  CPU 2.66GHz, even though I'm 99% sure I purchased a "Dual Core
> Pentium" when I built the system. I was wondering if there was another way
> to tell.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

That will tell you for sure. The items you care about are
'family','model' and 'stepping'

A core2 base pentium has a 'Family' of 6, a P4 has a family of F

Pentium D: http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/coolers/zalman-scythe/34_cpu-z_pd.png
Pentium Dual Core:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Pentium-Dual-Core-E2140-100%25-overclock-2.PNG

HTH