[mythtv-users] AGP interface graphics card with VDPAU support?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Dec 4 16:36:39 UTC 2008

I don't think anyone has found an AGP card that is supported by VDPAU. I
doubt NVidia will make one, AGP is pretty much dead. There are PCI cards
that will work, and they will work in an AGP system, though not in the AGP
slot. A few users on this list have tested them and they work with VDPAU
just fine. You don't really need the extra bandwidth as you are transferring
the compressed bitstream to the card, and it does the display as well, so
it's not that hard for PCI to handle it.

I just found out about a free upgrade program BFG has for older AGP cards.
Trade in for a PCI Express 9600 or 9800 based card. I'm considering doing it
as the GF9 series is supported and I don't really need the AGP 6800 card
anymore.