[mythtv-users] What is a "dual core processor"?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 16:32:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>wrote:

> Matt Emmott wrote:
> > Wow, now I have no idea. How can I tell what my CPU is without taking my
> > box apart? I suppose I can look up my invoices from Newegg...
>
> Assuming you run Linux:
>
> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>

> On Windoze you can run some non-m$ utilityto determine whatever type of
> CPU is present.

As I said above (although I paraphrased), my cpuinfo gives me Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D  CPU 2.66GHz, even though I'm 99% sure I purchased a "Dual Core
Pentium" when I built the system. I was wondering if there was another way
to tell.

As for Windows, you can run winmsd on OSes previous to Vista, or in Vista
you can run msinfo32.exe and it will give you your CPUinfo. If you want
rediculous granularity you can download siw.exe (google it) but the built-in
Windows stuff should be verbose enough.

(I wonder if I'm the only full-time Windows admin on this mailing list :-))