[mythtv-users] vdpau failure

carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi
Thu Dec 4 14:14:06 UTC 2008

>On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 4:05 AM, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
>> I can play 720p content on my 256M card through the frontend, but I
>> cannot play 1080i content through the frontend.  However the 1080i
>> content will play when I use the 'mythtv' player.
>>
>> I know some people are wondering about what will play with a 256M card
>> and what won't.
>>

>Some more results:  I tried a 8400 GT 256MB card and could only get
>480i to play through VDPAU (even that didn't work sometimes) 720p and
>1080i would not work at all.  I upgraded to a 9400 GT 512Mb card and
>now I can play everything (480i, 720p and 1080i).  All my tested were
>done with H.264 captured from a HD-PVR.  I have not tried any mpeg-2.

I'm curious. In what way did the higher resolutions fail? Did it log errors,
fail silently, or simply show a black screen? I'm currently playing around with
my 8400GS, and I can't get myth to show any of the test h264 clips that I've
tried. Then again, I can't get the patched mplayer to work either...

-Calle