[mythtv-users] What is a "dual core processor"?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 13:14:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
> For the purpose of fitting the requirements for playing back files from
> a Hauppauge HD-PVR.  Today, perhaps the quintessential "dual core"
> processor is the "Core 2 Duo", and that is the one that most people with
> HD-PVR's are probably using.  But there are others, and I have not
> kept up with new processors very well.  (My systems all use Pentium 4s)
>
> There are older processors which are still technically  "dual core", and I was
> wondering if they would work.  There is the Pentium D, and the "Pentium
> Dual Core".  As well as many processors from AMD, but I admit that I know
> very little about AMD.  Which of these older "dual core" processor lines
> would work, and how fast of a system would I need?  For example, I saw
> a Pentium D system at 3Ghz on Dell's outlet site for under $300.  The
> cheapest  "Core 2 Duo" is about $400, for a 1.8Ghz system.

You are lucky I have some first hand experience with the Pentium D on
my experimental setup.  My Pentium D 3GHz can not play HD-PVR
recordings smoothly through mythTV.  But it can play the same
recordings smoothly through VLC (so it is "powerful enough" in
theory).  The playback through mythTV is just barely not fast enough.
Maybe if I changed to a more efficient X.org window manager and
stopped every background process on the computer it would work?  I
don't really care because I will use nvidia VDPAU for playback.

As for which CPU architecture you should go with?  I recommend you go
with a 45nm core 2 duo.  It will be powerful and not require exotic
cooling.  The OEM heatsink/fan units for new core 2 duo are very
quiet.  So you save some money by not having to upgrade that.  My
Pentium D fan sounds like a jet engine.