[mythtv-users] VDPAU update from the front lines, December 2008

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Dec 4 03:37:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 15:41 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Also, I don't have a Windows box and unless this has changed there
> > isn't another way to install new HD-PVR firmware, so I wouldn't have
> > 5.1 audio support.
>
> I read somewhere it works on a windows installed in vmware.

Yep - that was me who wrote it.  If you have a laptop, most likely you
have a license for *some* version of Windows.  If it's a recent (last 3
years), chances are it's for XP or Vista.  If it only came with the
System Restore disks, but the license on the sticker on your laptop says
OEM, you *could* (IANAL) borrow OEM CDs from work, install into a VM,
and use that license key of you're not using said Windows license
anywhere else... At least, that's what I did... ;)

	-I