[mythtv-users] Geforce 8200 already advisable, working out-of-the-box?

Mark Jenks mjenks1968 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 01:47:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:45 PM, Mark Jenks <mjenks1968 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>wrote:
>
>> Mark Jenks wrote:
>> >
>> > I just built a BE/FE with the M3N78 Pro, and have audio/video over HDMI
>> > (alsa 1.0.18a) working perfectly.   It has the 8300 chipset on it, and
>> > full 7.1 audio (which I broke apart for my Jinzora setup).
>>
>> On another mailing list (unrelated to Myth) someone was asking about
>> audio over HDMI. I told him to google the mythtv and alsa forums for
>> solutions.
>>
>> Is there a HOWTO about audio over HDMI? What are the special
>> requirements (if any)? Do you need the latest ALSA, the latest NVidia
>> drivers, some kernel version, or some specific hardware?
>>

> I'm running Fedora 9, kernel 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686
>
> I have nvidia driver 177.67 loaded, and had to load alsa 1.0.18a to get the
> 3rd device to show up in aplay -l.   Once it showed up, I had to unmute it
> in alsamixer.
>
> In Myth, I set audio out to ALSA:hw:0,3.
>
> -Mark

aplay -l looks like this:

 card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0