[mythtv-users] Geforce 8200 already advisable, working out-of-the-box?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:45:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 05:53:46 am twenty.seven at arcor.de wrote:
> Bottom line: I am fascinated by the idea to build a HD capable, quiet, and
> low-power system. I would not hesitate to e.g. bridge the time until stable
> drivers for 780G or Geforce 8200 with a separate graphics card if I had the
> perspective for a really good system in 6 months or so. But, important: The
> basics just have to work right now without too much efforts.
>
> At the moment, I am wondering if I should give a Geforce 8200 mobo with
> Athlon 4850e and Mythbuntu a chance.

Absolutely, MythTV will work out of the box with that with much less hassle
than a 780G ATI chipset.

It will easily cope with SD playback, not so sure re HD. But VDPAU is coming
sooner rather than later, its already IMHO at beta status, and there is
nothing equivalent to it on ATI.

I see no reason to buy ATI at all.

--
Lindsay Mathieson