[mythtv-users] Geforce 8200 already advisable, working out-of-the-box?

twenty.seven at arcor.de twenty.seven at arcor.de
Wed Dec 3 19:53:46 UTC 2008

Hi all!

Some 4 weeks ago, I started looking for hardware to build a new MythTV box. Combined BE/FE, analog cable or DVB-T, 37" 1920*1080 LCD TV, at the moment receiving only SD TV (Germany), but system should be future-proof for HDTV.
With respect to noise and energy consumption, I would favor integrated graphics and thus had the AMD/ATI 780G chipset on my list, also due to some recommendations in reliable magazines. Then I learned that linux support for 780G is, well, not optimal. So I thought about temporarily adding a Nvidia graphics card until the 780G drivers get better.
Then came the news about Nvidia's VDPAU which also supports the Geforce 8200 chipset. But after some long hours of reading forums and mailing lists, I am still not sure if a 8200 based system would work without a lot of tinkering? So "out-of-the-box" is of course a little excessive, but  I have only intermediate Linux skills and don't want to patch and configure the system for weeks until I can watch a simple TV show (WAF won't ever recover from this ...).

Bottom line: I am fascinated by the idea to build a HD capable, quiet, and low-power system. I would not hesitate to e.g. bridge the time until stable drivers for 780G or Geforce 8200 with a separate graphics card if I had the perspective for a really good system in 6 months or so. But, important: The basics just have to work right now without too much efforts.

At the moment, I am wondering if I should give a Geforce 8200 mobo with Athlon 4850e and Mythbuntu a chance.

Would be glad to hear your recommendations!
twenty

--

Jetzt komfortabel bei Arcor-Digital TV einsteigen: Mehr Happy Ends, mehr Herzschmerz, mehr Fernsehen! Erleben Sie 50 digitale TV Programme und optional 60 Pay TV Sender, einen elektronischen Programmführer mit Movie Star Bewertungen von TV Movie. Außerdem, aktuelle Filmhits und spannende Dokus in der Arcor-Videothek. Infos unter www.arcor.de/tv