[mythtv-users] VDPAU Success

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Wed Dec 3 19:16:17 UTC 2008

> I believe Dan said on the dev list that VDPAU will allow for
> transcoding/commflag/etc to be done mostly on the GPU as well, so
> maybe a machine with $200 worth of GPU's will be more beneficial than
> the extra $200 spent on a CPU...
>
> --
> Steve

So, I wonder if VDPAU will be able to cope (and use) a couple of video
cards... Maybe dedicate one video card just to transcode/commflag/etc, and
leave the other free for output (and use it for other tasks when there is no
video output needed). So rather than throw $200 of CPU at the problem, we
throw $40 worth of GPU at it (and a 2nd slot obviously).