[mythtv-users] UK: Sky channel number fixer?

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Dec 3 11:40:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, December 3, 2008 10:24 am, dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

>>> For a channel changing script to change the sky box to that channel.
>>>

>> Oh, right yeah, thats quite obvious now you say.  I've not got a sky
>> box, just a DVB-S card that gets the freesat channels so I've never
>> needed to do that, hence my ignorance on the subject!
>
> I have a DVB-S card installed too, so no need for a channel changer
> script. Robert when you scanned in the satellite channels did it give them
> the correct numbers or did you get a seemingly random number applied to
> each channel ? e.g. 6940 for BBC HD.

Yes, I think I got seemingly random numbers - generally these looked to be
the PID, or the PAT, or something like that.  6940 does sound about right
for BBC HD.

> I'm toying with the idea of erasing all my channels again and using
> dvbscan and then editing the resulting conf file to remove all the
> shopping and other useless channels, what methods do other users in the UK
> use to populate their satellite channels ?

It was a while since I did mine and I remember it being a royal pain.  I
think what I did was, used dvb-scan to generate a channels.conf, edited
that to remove all the shopping / religious / chat / etc channels I didn't
want.  I then eventually managed (after many tries) to get this into
mythsetup and it scanned the transponders.  I think it added a few more
tat channels in I didn't want so I deleted those.  Then I went into
mythweb and renumbered and renamed all the channels with my own
essentially arbitrary numbering scheme and also assigned xmltvId's so I
could some guide data.

If channels move / new channels come on such as ITV HD, Channel 4, Five,
etc, then I'll go into mythsetup and scan _just_ the transponder I know
the channel is on (after finding it with dvbscan or whatever).  This
usually brings in some more channels I don't want so I delete those.  Then
back into mythweb to number, name and assign xmltvID's, etc.

Not exactly a slick process and I remember going round in circles trying
to get channels.conf imported initially.  And I can't remember how I cope
if there is a new transponder - I don't think it's very easy to add these
in mythsetup?? (or I haven't worked it out).  But hey, I don't have to do
it all that often and once Myth is running it's worth it!

Robert.