[mythtv-users] UK: Sky channel number fixer?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 08:36:25 UTC 2008

On 02/12/2008, Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com> wrote:

>    I was thinking of cobbling together a script which read a source of Sky
>  satellite channel numbers and fixed the channum/freqid  fields in the
>  database (prob. according to xmltvid) for when Sky move the things around
>  (as they regularly do).
>
>    But it seems like such a common requirement that I figured someone else
>  would have already done one.  Is there such a beast?
>

>    I'm also thinking of doing something that reads a tzap channels output
>  file and fixes my DVB channels, as I have to do that semi-regularly (fix the
>  mux+freq for certain channels);  this would require a mapping file of what
>  the DVB channel name is broadcast as (I've sanitised mine, so I can't just
>  rescan) to xmltvid so it can ID the channels I want.

I'm really hoping to look at this over my Christmas break for the
XMLTV lineups project. I've been saying I'm going to do this for a
while, but through illness, finishing the house, and University, I've
not yet gotten around to it.

The intention is to interface the lineups project so that it will work
with XMLTV grabbers, allowing TV platform lineups to be imported into
end-user applications with up-to-date channel numbering. It should
allow matching against existing scanned channels based on DVB
name/service ID, analog channel number, and URL in the case of IPTV,
and allow the importing of channel lists for providers such as Sky and
Virgin where a user cannot 'scan' for channels but must manually
configure them.

For MythTV it is possible simple scripts which scrape a site
(Wikipedia for example) for the current channel lineup and update the
database with updated channel numbering. I'm hoping that the XMLTV
lineups project can allow this to happen automagically whenever the
grabber is run.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott