[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 02:45:18 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> I followed the instructions here
>> (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu) to enable the repo, and
>> when I tried to install ffmpeg and libavcodec, I get:
>>
>> hdevine at hdevine-desktop:/$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg libavcodec
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> ffmpeg is already the newest version.
>> ffmpeg set to manually installed.
>> E: Couldn't find package libavcodec
>>
>> It appears that maybe the latest ffmpeg breaks mytharchive?  Maybe?
>> Just a little? ;-)
>>

> No the problem has been there for a while. Mythbuntu is a little brain
> dead about it. You basically need to use medibuntu. For various
> reasons ubuntu do not compiler to include patent encumbered etc codecs
> in their compiles. medibuntu do.
>
> I may be wrong about libavcodec's packaging name. try
>
> apt-get install ffmpeg libavcodec51

You were right about libavcodec51, but still no good.  It tells me that
ffmpeg and libavcodec51 are already the latest versions.  I was googling
around and I checked out the latest trunk via SVN for ffmeg.  I'm sure I
can compile that, but I have no ideas as to what to send into the
configure script.  I know that if I run ffmpeg -version, it tells me
what it was compiled with.  If I go that route, should I just mimic that
same compile time options?

Thanks alot for all of the help!
Harry