[mythtv-users] To survive the switch to digital...

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Dec 2 22:48:55 UTC 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> I currently have a Verizon DSL line as a back up. I trade stocks for a
> living and cannot afford to not have a connection, so I spend an extra
> $30/month. I use Comcast mostly but I'm currently streaming Judgment
> at Nuremberg over DSL. Did all day today. Plays perfectly even with 3
> different stock quote platforms streaming prices all day long. To the
> best of my knowledge Verizon does not yet limit bandwidth/month but I
> suspect that will show up one of these days. Maybe not though. Only
> time will tell.

I think DSL providers are not as likely to institute caps.  The lower
bandwidth available on DSL means individual subscribers can't create as
much traffic as on cable.  Also, there's competition in DSL service,
because phone companies have to lease their lines to competitors.  If
Verizon started capping monthly downloads you could go to one of the
other providers that operate over their lines; most areas have at least
two or three.  The same is not true of cable Internet.