[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

straurig at comcast.net straurig at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 20:23:11 UTC 2008

> As been stated, you do not need conduit for low voltage wiring. Thus,
> you just need to drill holes in allowable spots (building code regulates
> where holes can be drilled in headers and man-made joist). I would put
> plastic boxes up where the wires will come out of the wall. If you do
> that, you will not need mud rings. Mud rings are typically used with
> metal electrical boxes and are what the screws on face plates screw
> into. With the plastic boxes, the screws will just screw into the
> plastic box.

I don't think you understand what mud rings are. Mud rings are not used with any boxes and are not designed to attach to any boxes. They exist so that you can use no box at all but still have something for the drywall guys to cut around and something to screw a wall plate to. Trust me, mud rings are the cat's meow. Just make sure your drywall guy understands how to cut around them (they look a bit different than a regular box).

You can get away with just drilling holes on interior walls with no insulation but having the conduit to put the wire through so it exits within an inch or two of your mud ring is much, much easier. In an exterior wall (or an interior wall if you are doing soundproofing) with insulation you pretty much have to have a short piece of conduit to get from the outlet to the attic or basement.

> straurig at comcast.net wrote:
> > 6. In the attic and the basement run cable tray around to everywhere
> > there are conduits poking into that space. It doesn't need to be
> > expensive, fancy tray, it can be the cheap plastic stuff. It is
> > substantially easier to lay cable in the tray and to make modifications
> > and additions later this way. Your longest pull will be the straight 6
> > or 10' conduits that go to the attic--an easy-do with a short snake.
>
> It's even easier if you leave a pull rope in the conduit. When you pull
> new cable, tie a new length of pull rope to the old one before pulling,
> so you have a new length to leave in place. It greatly reduces the
> amount of cussing involved, especially in conduit that has bends. The
> initial rope can be drawn through the empty conduit with a snake, or by
> tying a rag to the end and sticking a vacuum cleaner hose into the other
> end of the conduit.

There is no way that pulling anything through a conduit, rope or no rope, is easier than just throwing it up into a tray.

st