[mythtv-users] Wiring new construction

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Dec 2 19:48:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 12:23 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Oh, one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet.  Maybe this goes without
> saying, but LABEL EVERYTHING.

Agreed on the labeling. I did the labels on the patch panel as it's in the
basement and the WAF is much higher putting labels on it. I did use generic
names though, "NW BED" and such. The tip about putting the number on the
back side of the cover plate is a good one though. I've still had cause to
use the tone generator enough that I don't regret the purchase. It comes in
handy when you least expect it sometimes.

One more thing I did that boosted the WAF. Install coax/cat6/power in the
ceiling if you ever intend on installing a wall-mount TV. My wife wanted one
in the master bedroom and having the cables go UP makes hiding them behined
the TV very easy. White coax and cat6 patch cords makes them near impossible
to see even when they are visible as our ceiling is white. And you can just
put a blank cover plate over the box if you don't use it right away. Those
blend in quite well.