[mythtv-users] UK: Sky channel number fixer?

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Dec 2 18:21:06 UTC 2008

dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
>>    I was thinking of cobbling together a script which read a source of Sky
>> satellite channel numbers and fixed the channum/freqid  fields in the
>> database (prob. according to xmltvid) for when Sky move the things around
>> (as they regularly do).
>>
>>    But it seems like such a common requirement that I figured someone else
>> would have already done one.  Is there such a beast?
>>

>>    I'm also thinking of doing something that reads a tzap channels output
>> file and fixes my DVB channels, as I have to do that semi-regularly (fix
>> the
>> mux+freq for certain channels);  this would require a mapping file of what
>> the DVB channel name is broadcast as (I've sanitised mine, so I can't just
>> rescan) to xmltvid so it can ID the channels I want.
>
> Hi Neil,
>
>    I myself was thinking of exactly the same task, I thought in the past
> that performing a channel scan within Myth-setup actually gave the
> channels their correct number ?!?! but have noticed recently some
> channels get correct number but others receive random large numbers
> such as 6940 (BBC HD) on my box.
>
>    Suppose it should be a simple exercise to read in the channel names and
> numbers from an external source e.g. Radio times web site ?
> Freeview/Freesat web site and update the channels table within mythtv
> using a sql script ?

This may be a dumb question, but why should I care if my channel numbers
match the Sky numbers (or not)?  Do I get some extra functionality
because of this?

Currently I've manually set my numbers so the channels are in the order
I want (BBC* ITV* C4 5, Film*, Music*, HD*, other tat that I never watch
at the end of the list and hence the EPG and when scrolling through
channels on the rare occasion that I watch live tv.)

(Not that I'm saying your script is a bad idea, btw, I always end up
fiddling with the numbers in mythweb after rescans and thats tedious)

Robert.