[mythtv-users] Control with Handheld/iPhone

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:19:35 UTC 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 1:12 PM, Info at pc-copy.de wrote:
> is anybody here who controls myth tv with A Nokia N770/800/810 or an
> iPod Touch? I don’t want a remote control. It will be nice if on the
> Handheld I can see the same GUI like on the TV

I made the app MyMote which is available in the App Store for iPhone/
iPod Touch. Unfortunately, it is just a frontend remote control. The
mythtv remote control protocol is not robust enough to show the actual
gui on a separate device as much of the state is not available. For
example, on any menu screen you can't tell what selection is currently
highlighted.

To be fair, it really doesn't make much sense to have such a remote
where the full gui is mirrored between the frontend and the remote.
There are lots of issues you would find if you tried to do that, not
the least of which is the fact that the frontend UI is not meant for
"touching", not even for "mousing".