[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Dec 2 10:24:13 UTC 2008

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Isaac Richards wrote:
>> On Saturday 29 November 2008 10:52:58 am George Mari wrote:
>>>  From the notes on the patch that Isaac submitted, it looks like MPEG2
>>> video is still not-quite visuallyoptimal, but that's probably just a
>>> matter of time before that gets smoothed out.
>>
>> The corruption went away with the checkin after that, I just didn't
>> mention it in the notes.
>
> Seeing as the nVidia interlace problem is associated with XV, is there
> any chance it will be fixed by use of VDPAU? I'd just love to buy
> a mobo with integrated 8XXX graphics, and for now just drive my SD
> TV via VGA=>Scart, knowing that I have HD capable hardware for when
> I eventually need it.
>
> In any case, it's hell these days to find a graphics card that can
> generate PAL timings flawlessly, so an 8XXX card would be a great
> solution, even ignoring the HD readiness.

Ok, put another way: does VDPAU correctly produce interlaced output,
or does it have the same problem that nVidia's Xv has? Specifically
can it correctly produce interlaced output of 576i/480i? Or is
there some reason I'm missing that this is a silly question? I
know it's mainly for MPEG4 but I'm wondering whether it also
in some ways does a better job of MPEG2.

Cheers,
	Paul.