[mythtv-users] VDPAU update from the front lines, December 2008

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Dec 2 08:04:57 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> says:
> I am currently running VDPAU code on my production system and I'm
> quite happy with it, so calling it "very preliminary -- basically
> conceptual" is not accurate. As soon at the OSD is working
> correctly, it meets all my requirements and I would consider it
> done.

Another message of yours earlier tonight had already given me the
sense that you were indeed using VDPAU in production.

I'm surely not the only person, comfortable with his existing setup,
who is nonetheless curious about what life is like on the
ultra-bleeding video-technology edge. So:

* Just how, exactly, is the OSD broken? I've read something of how
  it's all white.
* I've also read of MPEG2 blockiness. How is that in practice? Or are
  all your recordings from the HD-PVR nowadays and that's not an
  issue?
* What other positives (beyond the near-zero CPU usage) and negatives,
  big and small?

I realize you don't want to push a whole bunch of people to rush into
running trunk for VDPAU then complaining to the list "O HAI GUYZ TRUNK
BROK MY MYTHTV LOLOLOLOL," but with that caveat out of the way, let's
hear it all.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array