[mythtv-users] fixes branch: can't kill mythbackend

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 02:37:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:34 AM, George Mari
>> <george_mythusers at mari1938.org> wrote:

>>> If it's 100% on wa, that means its waiting for some IO operation to
>>> complete.  Use lsof to see what files that PID has open.
>>>
>>> Any messages in /var/log/messages or the mythbackend log?
>>>
>>> Does it only happen while it's recording, or playing back, or doing
>>> nothing, all of the above?
>>
>> Ah, I tried fuser but did not think of using lsof... damnit.
>>
>> I can't tell what it's doing other than it stops writing to the log
>> and puts a lock on my RAID array such that I can't stop it. I have not
>> noticed it happen during playback, so far it has only occured when no
>> frontend is streaming anything (they may be on, but just at a menu),
>> and at least the last few times mythcommflag had two processes running
>> (which is what I have it capped to).
>>
>> I'll try lsof next time it happens. If it is a file operation on the
>> RAID array, is there a way to see why it cannot complete the IO
>> operation?
>>
>> thanks!
>

> ok, finally occurred again, I can't open the log since it's on the
> same RAID array as I seem to be having problems with.
> I did run lsof and have a huge list, but don't really know what I'm looking for?
>
> Thanks for the help!

on a whim I "looked" at all the files being accessed on the RAID array
and it turns out I can't even do an 'ls' of the log directory which
makes me thing perhaps it could be myth having an issue writing to the
log file? perhaps its having an issue with the log rolling over?

Thanks!
--
Steve
http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MythTV/