[mythtv-users] Good TV-Out card for HD

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 00:55:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Paulin <paulin at spextreme.com> wrote:
> I've been looking a little more any it looks like all the DVI based cards
> only working in PCIe slots.  I don't have any e Slots left in my box (taken
> up by my Hauppaugh 1250 card).   Does anyone know of any DVI based card that
> are PCI based or is this a lost cause?

Sure.

Until recently I was running a PCI gf4 series card with working HD
(720p, with XvMC; P4 2.5 GHz).

You can still get PCI cards for at least the Nvidia fx5000 and fx6000
series. Not sure what your chip is. It may or may not handle HD
decoding without XvMC, but almost certainly will handle it with.

As for the VDPAU suggestions, there is no doubt that this is where
Myth is heading (and quickly), but it does require a newer card. The
8000 series has come way down in price, but I'm not sure it's
available in a PCI form. Also, HW-accelerated playback via a VDPAU
device is the future, not the present, unless you're willing to futz
with unstable, highly experimental code.

I'd recommend an fx5000 or 6000 series card for now and look to
upgrade maybe in the spring once the new VDPAU drivers and code
modules have been road tested for a bit.