[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 22:24:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday 01 December 2008 14:53:24 Steven Adeff wrote:

>> > Don't run cable, run conduit then pull cable.  A 1" conduit can probably
>> > hold 3-4 cables comfortably.  Run it all to a central location where your
>> > hub/server will be with no more than 2 ells and you're golden.
>> >
>> > You can always pull cable later as needed.
>> >
>> > --Yan
>>
>> Good advice, as a note, don't have more than 360deg worth of bends in
>> the conduit, it makes pulling cable a PITA, and technically it's
>> against code.
>
> Ah, CODE, that's the word I was waiting for on this thread.
>
> The codes also specify just how full you can stuff the conduit.
>
> Also, make sure you do not try and mix high voltage and low voltage cables in
> the same pipe.

not even to not try, DON'T.

> The codes specify how the concuit is to be attached to the structure, what
> type of conduit to use (rigid, semi-rigid, and various other types).

You can use RMC (Rigid Metal Conduit) (I assume by semi-rigid you
meant FMC?) or PVC if your running in walls, for these cable runs
since you can easily remove and insert cables later.
I'd go with PVC since it's cheaper and you don't have to worry about heat, etc.
some code notes...
For RMC:
- All the cuts will need to be reamed (or in some way made smooth).
- RMC shall be securely fastened within 3ft of each outlet, junction
box, cabinet, etc.
- RMC shall be supported at intervals not exceeding 3m (10ft).
- RMC can be used as a path to ground.

For PVC:
- can only be used in walls, floors and ceilings.
- All the cuts will need to be reamed (or in some way made smooth).
- PVC shall be securely fastened within 3ft of each outlet, junction
box, cabinet, etc.
- PVC shall be supported as required by table 352.30
1/2-1" = 3ft
1-1/4-2"=5ft
- be careful of expansion/contraction in how you support. (4" in 100'
of run at temperature variations over 100degF)
- PVC cannot be used as a path to ground.

it helps being an Electrical Engineer for an MEP....

--
Steve
http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MythTV/