[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Dec 1 22:03:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, December 1, 2008 1:56 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday 01 December 2008 14:53:24 Steven Adeff wrote:

>> or
>> DIY

>> I've
>> >
>> > Don't run cable, run conduit then pull cable.  A 1" conduit can
>> probably
>> > hold 3-4 cables comfortably.  Run it all to a central location where
>> your
>> > hub/server will be with no more than 2 ells and you're golden.
>> >
>> > You can always pull cable later as needed.
>> >
>> > --Yan
>>
>> Good advice, as a note, don't have more than 360deg worth of bends in
>> the conduit, it makes pulling cable a PITA, and technically it's
>> against code.
>
> Ah, CODE, that's the word I was waiting for on this thread.
>
> The codes also specify just how full you can stuff the conduit.
>
> Also, make sure you do not try and mix high voltage and low voltage cables
> in
> the same pipe.
>
> The codes specify how the concuit is to be attached to the structure, what
> type of conduit to use (rigid, semi-rigid, and various other types).

IIRC code doesn't really apply to low voltage stuff, or it's a lot more
lenient if you're not running line voltage.  Mostly for materials to make
sure it doesn't spew toxic gases when it burns.  I think it mostly depends
on your codes inspector.

But yes, you cannot mix line and low voltage.

The other big advantage of conduit is that you're much less likely to get
a cut cable from a sheetrock nail.

--Yan

--
  o__

You are an adult when you realize that everyone's an idiot sometimes. You
are wise when you include yourself.