[mythtv-users] OT: Wiring a new construction home for A/V, Ethernet, etc

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 1 16:54:34 UTC 2008

On Monday 01 December 2008 09:48:16 Preston Crow wrote:

> > > Don't run cable, run conduit then pull cable.  A 1" conduit can
> > > probably hold 3-4 cables comfortably.  Run it all to a central location
> > > where your hub/server will be with no more than 2 ells and you're
> > > golden.
>
> Yes!  I wish my house had conduit.
>
> > plus make sure to run a few extra outlets to areas you know or even think
> > you may have a lot of electronics at.
>
> Yup, but consider surge protection.  The best solution might be a
> whole-house surge protector.  Of course, you'll probably want a UPS on
> any backend equipment (computer, cable box, HDHomeRun, etc.), and in my
> case that results in using one plug for everything (my UPS has
> non-battery outlets that are surge protected).
>
> Going to a system with a house-wide UPS with special outlets for
> battery-backed equipment is probably overkill for most people.  (I think
> that's essentially what hospitals do, only with a generator.)

Major electronics facilities, like TV stations, which is what I have
experience with, generally use a large UPS system that can cruise for a while
on battery power, the assumption being that the batteries will last long
enough for the generator(s) to get up to speed.

You may have seen the orange-colored AC outlets, which a lot of people think
means "UPS". Actually it means "Isolated Ground", as most well-designed UPS
systems have that as part of the system.

But I agree, it's probably overkill for a residential setup.

--
beww
beww at beww.org