[mythtv-users] Serial-USB control of Directv H20

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 1 14:27:06 UTC 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 3:57 AM, Josh wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an H20 I've been controlling via Serial->USB for 11 months
> straight with no problems at all....
>
> Flaky indeed :)  Yes, at one point (a few years ago), this was
> working reliably with the H20.  A few weeks ago, I got a replacement
> H20 from DirecTV, but when I hooked it up I had the exact same
> issues as I mentioned above.
> I then had other issues with my new H20 (some HD channels would come
> in even though signal strength was good), so a tech came out to my
> house.  He said the only thing he had in his truck was a H23-600, so
> we hooked that up.  The H23-600 has been working just fine for about
> 5 days now without issue.  Same PC, same cable, same everything
> Why the multiple H20s units wouldn't work for more than a few hours
> still remains a mystery
> Thanks for the suggestions
> Dave
>
> Hey Dave, I got a H23-600 but can't get anything to work.. just keep
> getting timeout errors. What is your cable setup from the H23 to the
> computer?

Not the original poster but I have been doing the DirecTV serial
channel change thing for a while now.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial

However, I've had a problem finding the adaptors with the pl2303
chips. They all seem to be pl2303X and the others are "long gone"
according to all the manufacturers I spoke to. Luckily I had 2 pl2303
adaptors from a couple of years ago but still have a third box that I
can't change the channel on because the new adaptors don't work.

By the way, I've got 3 H21's and no issues except rebooting every
couple of months or so when they send down firmware updates which
annoys me.

-Brad