[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:38:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2008, at 8:40 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> For other VDPAU experimenters, is this due to the newly-reported
>>> 256MB video RAM requirement?
>
> I have an nVidia 256MB 8400GS and haven't seen anything like this. I
> bumped up my HD-PVR to the highest quality setting and it all looks
> good aside from some sync line near the top of the screen. I think my
> display is set to 60hz but Ubuntu will only let me set it to 61 for
> some reason. OTA HD looks blocky, h264 content looks beautiful. OSD is
> all white and unusable. I'd say it's a pretty excellent start!

I have an 8500GT 256MB running VDPAU on ubuntu 8.10.  I can not get it
to play any high def HD-PVR recordings.  It will play one 480i hd-pvr
recording I made.  All the 720p and 1080i recordings I tried generated
a segmentation fault in mythfrontend (error message like: failed to
create VDPAU buffers).  I thought my problem was not enough video ram.

I see the same all white OSD.