[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Mon Dec 1 03:24:09 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>, said on Sun Nov 30, 2008 [06:38:45 PM]:
} On Nov 30, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Steve Heistand wrote:
}
} > so for kicks I updated to the latest trunk, installed the
} > beta nvidia drivers and compiled in the vdpau options.
} > aside from a bit of an issue compiling the latest hdpvr
} > stuff all went well. But that aside since everything worked
} > just fine before without vdpau how will I know/notice
} > the supposed advantage of using vdpau?
}
} You have to choose to use the VDPAU playback settings to use them. top
} will show you about 5% cpu usage when playing back content with it.
} Since you are using svn, you're also following the -dev and -commit
} lists, so you already know this.
}

sweet, there is a nice new option under playback.
as a data point my 256M 8600gt works on some files
(7% load vs 25-30% on cpu for same file) and some files
it does have issues. The audio goes normally but the video
loops the same 1-2 sec segment.

--
"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
steve at heistand.org