[mythtv-users] Inexpensive, preassembled, VDPAU-friendly frontends

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 03:04:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:50 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> So low-cost and low-power is....anything you can find which fits those
> categories, and which can take a 8000+ series nvida card. And there are
> lots of cards which are passively cooled and PCI and PCIE variants. I
> don't think that there are any AGP versions, but I could be wrong on
> that. The 8400GS is passively cooled and has VGA and DBI plugs, S-video
> and component on one plug with a breakout cable for the latter.
>
> This REALLY opens up the miniITX universe of motherboards to fulfilling
> ALL of the intended niches that VIA etc. originally conceived of. And
> which Intel etc. followed..

Pity the PCI video cards are twice the price of PCIe, in this part of
the world the only PCI card I can find is the best part of $200 and
only has 256MB of RAM, while there are warnings on the list that 512MB
may be better.

And there are a lot of old office SFF desktops (eg my compaq d530s)
which is small quiet and has an AGP slot. It serves well as a SD FE/BE
but would easily move to HD with a AGP 8xxx card, if such a thing
existed.

Don't get me wrong, I agree this is a major thing, particularly here
in NZ where people have been struggling to throw sufficient hardware
at the broadcast h.264 streams.