[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Dec 1 01:18:43 UTC 2008

Johan Venter wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/358020#358020
>> Thank you Brad. I missed the attachment on Isaac's original post, but
>> it's nicely attached to the thread in gossamer...
>> Geoff
>
> The initial VDPAU patch has just been committed to trunk:
> http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/19165

We will need some other chipset users to test this. My results were NOT
good using SVN 19110 + patch on an Intel system.

I have an Intel 945GM chipset in my mythbox. I'm using the latest xf85
Intel Version 2.5.1 driver.  But I picked up an Nvidia 8400GS card to
take advantage of this. But before I put in, I tried the 'upgrade',...
Oooops. Same hardware and setup as SVN trunk 18408 would NOT play either
SD or HD (I was using High Quality). Some messing got analog SD to play,
using XvMC (on Intel remember) but the system was NOT happy, and there
was no OSD. Anything digital resulted in an instant seg fault. And
nothing useful in the log.

I re-downloaded SVN 19110 (forgetting that I could reverse the patch),
but it exhibited the same effect...and it was now looking for
/dev/nvidia0, and seg-faulting when it was not found...

I eventually reverted to 18408. (Still with a funny problem, too.. see
other thread).

So, have there been 'bad' changes to trunk since 18408 which kill Intel,
or did I miss something when I re-installed....(yes, it turns out I
'make distclean' more often than I clean my teeth...)
Anyone else out there, using OTHER chipsets, have any test results from
using the vdpau enabled code?

Geoff